Instagram Hipster Muffin
Day Light savings confuses me. No matter what, one day every Fall & every Spring I wake up, look at my phone and get really worried that my phone “forgot” to switch the time. That happened Sunday morning. There’s also this little folding travel clock on the bedside table that you wouldn’t think would know to change… So I just assumed they were both wrong, and I went around half the morning thinking it was actually another hour later than “spring forward” already made it. All the clocks in the house were different too, since some of them “knew” to change, and others didn’t, I got really overwhelmed and finally Googled “current time in California.” Yup. Had to google what time it was. Awwwkward…
I was bad this weekend. I went bakingbatsh*tcraycray… I made muffins AND chocolate chip cookies… SO not ok. I made a mini batch of cookies for my little cousin for her 4th birthday on Saturday. Then Judy was extremely concerned that we didn’t get to keep any of the cookies. That wasn’t nice of me, so I promised her I’d make another batch… These cookies are REDONKULOUS. They’re from Food Lover’s Primal Palate and they are TO EFFING DIE FOR. Legit, best Paleo cookies ever. Make them. Now. Seriously. The only adjustments I make are adding some chopped raw walnuts and subbing in raw honey for the maple syrup. 1. real maple syrup is EFFING BALLZ EXPENSIVE out here (I miss living next to VT)… 2. raw honey tastes DELISH anyways 3. I use 1/2 as much honey as it calls for maple syrup, so in my mind I’m “saving” ingredients… Stupid? Correct. Makes me feel better? Yes.
Also made muffins. Dear God how I love muffins… It’s not fair… When I worked as a swim counselor at a camp in Vermont for a number of years they would serve us snack in the midmorning and it was usually something pretty narsty and not all that pleasant. EXCEPT, when it was Morning Glory muffins. Those were FERRR REEEEALZ bomb DOT com. Plus for the hours following snack we would use excessively sexual references to morning glory muffins in an “afternoon delight” context. Bad counselors. We used the earmuff tactic on campers a lot. So I found this recipe via http://www.dessertstalker.com or as MummaD calls it “Desert Stalker” (really Ma? Operation Desert stalker – mission: find and bake the sh*t out of all things delicious). I messed with it a bit just due to what I had on hand and whatevs. Not gonna lie, they’re pretty stupid yummy. That doesn’t make sense.
Morning Glory Spice Muffins
- 1/2 c coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 c raw honey
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 apple finely diced
- 1/2 c zante currants
- 1/2 c shredded coconut flakes
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350* and thoroughly grease muffin tins. Or use muffin liner things… If you’re into that sort of thing.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift all dry ingredients (coconut flour thru allspice) through a mesh colander. Or if you’re wicked cool and own a sifter… I suppooooose you could use that too…
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all wet ingredients (eggs thru honey) with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet until thoroughly mixed.
- Add carrots, apple, currants, coconut flakes and chopped pecans, again mixing until well incorporated.
- Fill up the muffin tins! This isn’t a liquid-y batter, so kind of pack ’em down into the tins so they’re a bit more compact. They aren’t going to poof up either, so don’t worry about them spilling over the edge.
- Pop ’em in the oven for 25-30mins… Remove and let them cool on a rack. Orrrr you could grab one out of the tin immediately, slather it with some grassfed ghee, take a huge effing bite and burn your mouth cuz you’re a muffin crackhead and don’t know how to control yourself. But you wouldn’t do that, would you?