Sometimes life just sure as sh*t does not go as planned. Last week BLEW. Big time. For starters, had a minor family crisis on Sunday (crisis since averted, thank you). Monday morning brought about news of my credit card number being stolen. AWESOME. Thankfully AMEX is bombtastic and was all over that like Paleokidz on BACON . Also on Monday I brought Mona to the mechanic for an oil change and safety check to make sure she was ready to roll for Cross-Country-Extravaganza #2. On Wednesday I received a call from said mechanic detailing the following maladies with my baby Mona-the-Sube:
1. They found a “rather large sized tumble-weed lodged behind the front bumper.” Um, excuse me??! That means it was there since like… New Mexico?? Or maybe even as far back as the Dreaded Texanpedition of 2011?? How is that even possible?? And trust me, the irony of having an effing TUMBLEWEED lodge in my car does not pass me by as that has become my brother’s nickname for me. Obviously someone “up there” is getting a laugh.
2. Both “ground straps” were 80% torn, and when they went to look closer at the passenger’s side, it completely snapped. Fine. Replace them. I don’t even know what those effing things do.
3. The axel boots I replaced IN SEPTEMBER are apparently leaking grease/oil/WHATEVER and should be replaced. Thankfully they are under warrantee and I will get the JACKWADS that installed them back at home to replace them.
4. Apparently there’s some kind of leak coming from under the Timing Belt cover??!? They couldn’t look at it fully as I’d need to take it too a Subaru specialist etc etc. But it could potentially be leaking on to the timing belt, and if said timing belt is “saturated” it could snap basically whenever. SWEET.
5. Let’s top that all off with the fact that my extended warrantee has expired. WHAT?!!? I’ve only had the car for 14months! How the EFFFFFF DID I DOOOOO THAAAAAT. So on top of not having any repairs covered, I now no longer have 24/7 roadside assistance. Well eff, that’s PERFECT.
So what does this mean? This means I AM FLYING THE F*#% HOME. Mona is scheduled to get picked up by one of those big trucks (that stacks cars WAY to freaking high if you ask me) on Friday, and I am flying my @$$ home next Tuesday. Yea, last week was eventful and super craptastic. Mona, I love you but seriously, you’re giving me a headache.
But you know what I learned? Well I already knew this, I swear, but it was just a solid reminder. Everything happens for a reason. I had been pushing the whole road trip #2 so hard, and was so determined to cram a bunch more new & exciting sights into a 10 day trip, I wasn’t really acknowledging the fact that I was dreading being in car for 10+ days again… Honestly it’s a relief. A little bit of a bummer, but an overall relief.
Ok enough of a life-recap. SO EXCITED TO SEE MY FAMILIA & EAST COAST BESTIES SO SOON! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
Here is a super tasty “latke” kind of thing (I like the way that word looks, latke!). These guys are awesomely portable, and go really well with a fried egg for some morning protein starch combo-ness. Plus they’re crazy easy! Enjoy! 😉
Rosemary Zucchini Yamcakes
2 zucchini, shredded
1 large yam, shredded (I leave the skin on, just be sure to give it a wash)
1 rounded Tbls fresh chopped rosemary
1 pastured egg, beaten
Approximately 2 tsp coconut oil
- Place the shredded zucchini in a mesh strainer and sprinkle with some salt. Mix it around in the strainer and then begin to press it down, pushing out as much water as possible. Keep doing this until it feels a bit drier. Another option is to take a clean dish rag or paper towels and wrap the zucc up and squeeze out the liquid that way. Either way, you need them to be on the drier side.
- Combine grated & drained zucchini, with grated yam and fresh rosemary in a mixing bowl and mix ‘er up!
- Add in beaten egg and thoroughly combine.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt coconut oil.
- Drop a palm-sized amount of the mix in the skillet and press out into a pancake-like formation.
- Cook about 2mins per side, or until brown and caramelized!